- John had a job interview and has been called in for a second. While I went to the Temple, John took most of the kids to the mall because Ruth desperately needed new jeans. Ruth and I were dubious that John would be able to help Ruth find jeans that he both approved of and for no more than $10 a pair. Surprisingly John was successful. Since John had ALL of the little kids with him, I had Kate take pictures of the antics that John was either sure not to notice or to find too funny to stop.
- On Saturday, we went to Jeremy and Rosanne's house to help with their yard. I painted an arbor and a gate, John worked on taking down a cherry tree, and Ruth and Kate helped build a garden box and remove sod. Then we had a movie night and a late night gospel/political conversation. We arrived home at 2:45am.
- By Wednesday, I decided that I could not tell the difference between a can of spray paint and Ruth's jeans. So, even with unemployment, we decided Ruth had to have new pants. I told her that jeans at D.I. cost between $6 and $8 and we would buy her pants there. Ruth didn't want D.I. pants. She said that she would use her money to make up the difference in cost. John is not making her pay the difference. She found jeans at the mall for $10. I think she is more comfortable in her new jeans, but she wishes we would allow her to wear her pants as tight as her friends typically wear theirs. I am never sure what to think on this whole super tight clothes styles. I miss the days when fitted pants rather than squished on pants were the style. I want my daughters to dress stylishly, but I still think something should be left up to the imagination.
- Kate has nearly finished the 8th grade a month ahead of schedule. She has 5 sections in math and one math test left and she is done! She is pretty proud to have completed all but one of her courses. Kate had state testing this week. She was very slow and careful about her tests. She took 5 1/2 hours to complete the 3 exams. She was confident about what she knew.
- Johnny took the state tests too. Johnny sped through the 3 exams and finished first out of all the other kids there. Johnny took 2 1/2 hours. He said that they were super easy. I am sure the math test was particularly easy for him. Johnny is not as ahead in his course work as Kate is. Johnny still has Flash Game Programming that he is fairly behind on to finish, and he has to finish another 2 chapters in geometry.
- I have been rather frustrated with the common core low standards that the Utah schools have taken up.Adam started up second grade knowing how to multiply and reading at a 3rd grade level. He can't remember how to multiply, and he his reading level dropped below grade level after Christmas. I have had other parents say the same thing has happened to their children. Out of the blue, one evening, I asked Adam how he would feel if I homeschooled him next year. He cheered! So it is set. I did not register him for public school, and I secured a spot for him at My Tech High. This will be great for Johnny since Kate is going back to school and now Adam will get to start a second language as well as computer programming.
- Rachel enjoyed the nicer weather and spent a lot of time outdoors this week.
- We've decided to go ahead and send Anya to kindergarten so I do not have to home school 2 younger kids. Anya has been begging to attend school and Rachel keeps telling Anya how wonderful school is, so I picked up the kindergarten pack, and will have to get to work on filling out all of the papers for kindergarten.
- We had no big Joseph destruction incidents this week. It finally warmed up and he spent a lot of time playing outside. I think that helps him a lot. He needs to get out and explore and be a boy. Joseph is good at building things. He builds legos and bionicles and completes puzzles a lot. I love it when he concentrates his time on construction rather than destruction.
- Josh is still our funny delightful 2 year old. He still comes to you if you call out cars or trains, but he will not come to you if you call his name. Josh likes to organize his things. He lines up his toys and keeps them neat. I suspect his wife will like that.
- Arwen is 9 months already. She is getting around pretty good now. She will follow me from room to room if she is not busy playing. Arwen is calm and relaxed. She loves people and will generally let anyone hold her.
This Week's Pictures
The Mall Trip
Ruth's loosest pair of jeans
John brought Joseph to the mall in wet, bright orange sweat pants and a yellow and blue shirt (Ugh)
Ruth and Kate took Josh to the cloth store while John took the other kids to the Disney Store. Everyone looked at Ruth like she was Josh's mom. She was embarrassed!
Rachel standing up with the manikin
Joseph chewing on the hanger that belonged to the shirt Ruth was trying on.
Rachel hiding under the clothes rack.
Joseph pulling down a sign.
Joseph climbing up with the manikin.
Josh pulling off the manikin's leg.
Anya attacking Joseph
Joseph trying to open the call box in the elevator.
Sunday, April 28, 2013
This Week at our House # 16
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for all your help Saturday! We'll have to give you some home grown tomatoes...
This was a fun one; especially the pictures of the store outing. Once my husband took our girls to the store for school clothes. He was not going to let them come home with flowered pants; but he did. It was funny.
I like the idea that you figure out what is best for each child, home schooled our school. I think this is good.
Blessings!
Post a Comment