Sunday, October 7, 2007

Memory

This morning is John's birthday and all the kids got up with the purpose of doing something for their dad. They got out paper and crayons to make pictures and cards, and they brought him breakfast in bed. It has been such a peaceful happy morning and it reminded me of being four. I woke up one morning and my mother spoke very softly to me, told me it was thanksgiving and set me in front of the TV with a bowl of grapes. I felt as happy and as peaceful then as I do this morning. I think that parents speaking softly and children doing things for others makes such a happy peaceful home. I need to remember that soft voice and use it more, because one of my first and happiest memories was a few soft words from my mother.

2 comments:

Em said...

I need to speak softly to my kids. There is always too much yelling upstairs from downstairs for someone to get this or that. Or getting mad at the kids for wrecking the house in less than 2 seconds, or fighting over who knows what. I love it when the house quiets down and I can have a few peaceful moments, that usually doesn't happen though until after the kids are in bed.

daughter of eve said...

My Grandmother Bella, who had 11 children told me one warm summer day while visiting her with Lila and Diane, She said,"Trisha the best advice I can give to you as one Mother to another is to speak softly to your children and don't yell." Well I often thought about that when I found myself speaking way to loud....of course my normal voice will leave folks thinking that I might be yelling, but am not. Diane it is nice that you have a fond memory of being four on a quiet Thanksgiving morning. I love you...you are such a sweet loving daughter...it is a joy to be your mom....xo