For the first time in our homeschool history, I remembered to take pictures for the first day of school!!
This year we have Adam in 9th grade, Rachel in 8th grade, Anya and Joseph in 6th grade, Josh in 3rd grade, Arwen in 2nd, and Suzy in kindertgarten.
I thought that school went rather smoothly. I skip all the introductory stuff that public schools do and go immediately to the meat of the matter. We had a full day of school with everything we will do every Monday for the whole school year. We even had a dentist appointment thrown in there.I asked each child for a quick opinion on what they thought of their first day of school this year.
Adam: School's heck and if I went to public school it would be more heck.
Rachel: I don't like school. (Later she asked if for school tomorrow she could make cheesecake instead.)
Anya: The reading was good. I guess eating the breakfast was the best part.
Joseph: Not as bad as I thought it would be.
Joshua: Noooo! But, my favorite part of the day was the ice cream. (He got a free ice cream coupon from the dentist.)
Arwen: No, I did not like it. I did not like school.
Susan: It's so nice.
Here's my take on each child and how they did:
Adam: Very obediently did all of his work and did not complain at all. He will need to learn to read faster as most of his work this year will be him learning independently from books.
Rachel: Stalled a lot and tried to get out of her work. She went very slowly and worked later than everyone else. She will need to pick up speed and start taking school and education more seriously. She spent one and a half hours writing her 20 spelling words through once making curly-cues on all of her letters.
Anya: Worked reasonably quickly and well. She fell asleep during her science reading. I think she liked her lessons more than she is apt to admit. I think she will do very well this year.
Joseph; Sped through his work and while he is the youngest of the 4 older school kids, he finished everything a couple of hours before everyone else.
Joshua: He reads very slowly, but he reads. I did not keep up with him and reading over the summer, but he has not lost any skills. In fact, I would say that he has picked up ahead of where he left off, and is reading better. He enjoyed his math. I think he will like his math text.
Arwen: Was easy to be entreated. She reads well and quickly. It is possible that the second grade reading curriculum will be too easy for her.
Suzy: Was as sweet as can be. She did everything I asked and enjoyed doing it. She likes doing colorful workbook pages and was interested in what she did.
2 comments:
I really enjoyed reading about your first day of school and how the children felt about it all. I liked reading your summary too.
Blessing and hugs for you beginning the school year!
Your first day of school looked like a great one. I liked the photos. I smiled as I read the comment of your children on what they thought about the first day of school. I do enjoy reading about them and see how each of them is unique in very different ways.
Have a wonderful School season, and I think you are fantastic at this.
Blessings and hugs for all!
Post a Comment