Monday, June 27, 2016

This Week at Our House #25



  1. It's summer now!! And I missed it. I did not realize we had passed summer solstice until June 24th. There are still two job things that may possibly come through. We need this more than ever now. 
  2. The air conditioner in the house does not work very well. It can take several hours to cool the house down and usually by then it is cool enough outside. It is working ok to keep insulation curtains up during the day and keeping the windows open, particularly in the morning and at night. It gets really hot between 2 and 6, so I have been taking the kids out more to cool down. We are drinking a lot more juice and eating a lot more sandwiches and salads so we don't have to heat the kitchen with cooking.
  3. Ruth kept saying that she did not feel well all week. We just thought it was the heat. But then by the end of the week, most of the rest of the kids were sick with fevers and stomach aches, so now we think it was more than heat.
  4. We went to the beach on friday to escape the heat and humidity. Kate swam in the ocean pretty much the whole time. She just seems to love the ocean. Kate has been spending all nighters reading. I think she did two last week, and then the days between wondered why she was feeling tired.
  5.  Johnny loves the beach. He swims a lot, but he also loves digging in the sand and finding sea creatures.
  6. Adam woke up very sick Sunday morning. He has not been sick at all for over a year and he has not been really sick for several years. Sunday, Adam was really sick with a horrible headache and vomiting. He said, "Now I remember why I hate being sick-- it hurts!"
  7. Rachel did not want to go to the beach, but enjoyed herself immensely once we were there. I took her out over head and taught her how to body surf the waves. She loved it. Rachel was sick with Adam on Sunday. I used essential oils to help her and she was sold at their effectiveness.
  8. Anya did not like me taking her out above her head, She loves swimming in the ocean as long as she can stand up and keep her head above water.
  9. Joseph loved going out deep into the water. He wanted me to be there out with him the whole time. Joseph is probably the most daring of all of our little kids when it comes to swimming in the ocean.
  10. Joshua now says he hates the beach because of all of the sand. Joshua seems to either love something or hate it. There is not much of an in between for him. Joshua also declared that he hates sick people. He said that he loves the people only when they are not sick.
  11. Arwen was the only kid I did not take out into the tall waves. She still seems to prefer playing at the edge of the water or in tide pools when there are some. Arwen and Susan came home from the beach with a fever. That is when we first realized we had sick kids, so it changed all of our Saturday plans for a youth Temple trip and a trip to the lake near the Temple. 
  12. When I took Susan out into the deep water, she was at first excited, but when water hit her face, she pointed to the shore and said, "That one."

4 comments:

rozanny said...

I love that your kids know what they want! "That one!" and "I hate sick people!" Agreed... I don't like it when people are sick either. Hope it goes through everyone quick and everyone's feeling better soon.

Courtney said...

These updates are so fun. It's good to know other big families. A few years ago when we installed air conditioning the AC guy told us that the most efficient way to use AC is to keep your home a constant temperature. That the energy used to get the AC going off and on and trying to cool quickly is much harder on the system than a constant temp. With heat he said it's the opposite, it's fine to turn it on and off since heaters are more efficient. Hope that helps.

Courtney said...

These updates are so fun. It's good to know other big families. A few years ago when we installed air conditioning the AC guy told us that the most efficient way to use AC is to keep your home a constant temperature. That the energy used to get the AC going off and on and trying to cool quickly is much harder on the system than a constant temp. With heat he said it's the opposite, it's fine to turn it on and off since heaters are more efficient. Hope that helps.

LeAnn said...

So sorry that you have had sickness in the family. I cant stand the thought of no a/c but you are doing some great things to stay cool. I think your beach trips sound fun. I am not surprised that they each relate to swimming and water in different ways. I hope you are all feeling better soon. Sorry about the temple activity. Prauers and hugs! 💕