Sunday, August 24, 2014

This Week at Our House #34



  1. Nothing, nothing, nothing from jobs.
  2. Four kids started school this last week and the three others start tomorrow. I walked to pick the elementary school kids up and that has been a good way to sneak in some mild exercise. It has also been nice for the littlest ones to either get a stroller ride or a good swift trot next to me. I particularly liked having Josh come along because he talked and was friendly and sweet. I plan to keep this up until it gets cold. Tomorrow begins the real school week with full days and homework. 
  3. Ruth went to a regional church dance last night and had a lot of fun. A couple of her friends from Salt Lake came up for the dance. Ruth seemed to enjoy her final week of vacation, and is excited and nervous to begin her junior year of high school tomorrow.
  4. I have learned that I need to do a better job at teaching my kids manners. A boy asked  Kate to dance the first slow dance at the regional church dance last night. He put her hands on her waist and she freaked and said, "Don't touch my waist". She told me that when dancing before they had only ever touched hands. (That is so weird to me.) Later, a rather cocky boy in our ward asked her dance twice and she told him no both times. Then he tried to get her to dance with one of his friends and she splashed her cup of water in his face. I am glad that she is not all flirty and out to get the guys, but I am mortified that she seems to have no manners and I feel so sad for the first boy who asked her to dance. I also think the boys like her because they know they can't get her. In fact, I am sure that is why the boy in our ward asked her to dance. I love that Kate has such a fiery strong personality. Since she was a newborn I have thought that her fire and might are well suited to be a latter-day saint, but I think it is time to temper the fire with some good manners.
  5. Johnny began the 9th grade on Wednesday at Legacy Prep. He has not had much to say about it, but he seemed happy enough. On Tuesday we went and got his schedule fixed. Apparently he had not been put into orchestra because his 8th grade English teacher said he needed to be in honors English. That surprised us all because Johnny does not like English and feels like he is pretty bad at it. We switched him out so he could continue the violin. 
  6. I got an email from Adam's teacher on Friday that said, "I just wanted to send out a quick e-mail letting you know how impressed I've been with Adam these first few days of school.  He has been on task and willing to help those around him. :)". It sounds like Adam is off to a good start in the 4th grade!!
  7. Rachel began the 3rd grade at Legacy Prep. I am so glad that all of the kids are in the same school this year. Rachel said that it is very different, but that she likes it a lot. I love picking her up and seeing her skip down the hallway. She seems quite happy and excitedly mentioned that they get to do art.
  8. Anya began the first grade, but this week was just 3 half days so she has not yet experienced a full day of school. Tomorrow will be her first full day and we will see how she handles 7 hours of school. Anya did not do very well at getting up, getting dressed, and getting ready for school. I think it is going to be a tough year where I nag her to get ready for school every morning. But she is only in the first grade.
  9. Joseph had his kindergarten testing on Friday and he did fairly well. He would not tell his teacher the letter sounds, but he did tell them to the aid that tested him afterwards. 
  10. Josh pooped his pants and I made him clean up most of the mess himself. He was very grossed out. I sure wish he would get this figured out. I am looking forward to having Josh be the oldest kid at home for the next two years. I think he needs that time being the big kid.
  11. Arwen keeps taking her diaper off so I really am going to start the potty training process this week. At this point she has no idea what to do, so I really will be starting from the very beginning. And maybe, just maybe this will help Josh.
  12. Susan has calmed way down and sleeps through the night a few nights a week. She is right where I need her to be for the beginning of the school year. Life changes tomorrow. Good bye sweet summer days. I will miss you.
This Week's Pictures
this is all she would wear all day





First day of school



First day of school


2 comments:

rozanny said...

Bwahahahahahaha! I absolutely love the picture of Arwen's non-outfit! Awesome! I'm glad everyone is liking school! I hope it went well for Joey and Anya today too! Miss you guys and I'll miss summer too! Want to go to the Church history museum before they close it to remodel it this fall?

LeAnn said...

I really enjoyed this post about the children starting school. I know it is mayhem in the morning getting everyone off; but I think you will enjoy just the three at home
I am sad that your husband hasn't found a job yet; I am praying for you all.
The pictures of the children are sweet as usual.
Blessing for you dear girl!