Sunday, February 9, 2014

This Week at Our House #6



  1. We had a much quieter week this last week. Work went okay for John. He had fun joining Adam for scouts at the firehouse learning how to put out fires with fire extinguishers.
  2. I was up at the Capitol three times. I spent a small amount of time talking to a couple of representatives about a sexual education bill. It looks like the bills that I cared most about (religious freedom bills) and worked the hardest on will not make it out of the rules committee. Given that, I do not feel as obligated to spend as much time up at the Capitol. The last couple of weeks have made me very grateful that John supports me as a stay at home mom. I can't imagine having to be dressed up, out of the house and away from my kids every day.
  3. Ruth wasn't feeling too great this weekend. She's still feeling a little ill, but I think she will push through and go to school tomorrow. 
  4. Kate took a day off from school for a stomach ache as well as a chance to catch up on some school work. She actually did homework from 8am until about 9pm that day.
  5. Johnny is still keeping up on his school work. He had a history project that he remembered and completed yesterday. He has to make a personal goal and complete it for a health project. He chose to read a novel in two days. He reads fast and he reads a ton. He needs his own library.
  6. Adam told me that he often feels sick while at school, but then feels better when he gets home. I have tried to contact his teacher to see if she knows of anything that would be causing him anxiety in school, but she has not gotten back to me. Now I am worried that any anxiety he may be having is coming from his teacher. It is a good thing parent/teacher conferences are coming up. I am not very happy with teachers who do not communicate with parents.
  7. I had parent/teacher conference with Rachel's teacher this week. Rachel continues to improve. I was glad to find out that Rachel is now seeing a physical therapist to help her hold her pen correctly. This has been a problem for a very long time and I have not known how to correct it. I found out from Rachel's teacher that she has been falling asleep in school. That night we moved Rachel's bed out of the room with Joseph and Anya and in with Josh and Arwen. She is now getting more sleep and is happy with the new sleeping arrangement. Rachel goes off track this week and will have three weeks off from school.
  8. Anya and Joseph never go to bed when we tell them to. They race up and down the halls, go to the bathroom several times, talk, play and sneak around the house. As a result, Anya has been very teary and irrational. I have ordered some lavender oil and melatonin. I am going to try and give Anya and Joseph a hot bath and rub some lavender oil on them. If that does not help them to settle down at night, I may give melatonin a try. I am always skeptical of medicines, so I may change my mind.
  9. I am really, really looking forward to warmer weather so I can send my rough, tumbly, full of energy boy outside to play. Joseph wants to play video games all day long, so we have had to make sure the computers are password locked to keep him from sneaking on. I plan to sign him up for soccer soon too. I think that will help him get some of his energy out.
  10. Josh is mostly pooping in the toilets now, but the rest of potty training seems to be a long time coming. Josh has taken to drawing on anything and everything. Fortunately most of our surfaces and writing utensils are pretty washable. 
  11. Arwen started nursery for the first time today. She gets to go in with Josh, and I think that helps a lot. She stayed, didn't cry and participated about as much as any 18 month old. She's so sweet and cuddly. 
  12. My placenta is right on the front of my uterus. That is why I have not felt baby Susan kick as much as some of the other babies. As she gets bigger, that won't matter anymore. She will be big enough for me to feel regularly. The placenta is still in a safe place for a clean delivery. I look forward to meeting my new little darling in another 4.5 months.
This Week's Pictures



1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Sweet pictures! I always enjoy the update. Your children are amazing and really good children too. I am sorry that some have not been feeling well. I think it is good to find out about the anxiety. Schools seem more stressful to me now days. We didn't ever hear about bulling and other things that go on in today's schools.
I admire you for working so hard on the bills that are being presented. I am sure you feel bad when they don't go anywhere. Politics are not fun in today's world either. It is mostly signs of the times and we can look forward to the 2nd coming.
Blessings for all you do!