Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Birth Story and Postpartum

I have been slow blogging since my sweet little Arwen arrived. Partly because I am tired from late night newborn care and partly because the rest of my family has our computers tied up at all times.

The Birth Story


John and I got to the hospital at 8:40 instead of 8:00. That turned out to be good. Apparently, we never got the phone message to come in at 2pm instead. They said they wouldn't kick us out, but wouldn't rush to get things going either.

So at 9:45 when I starting having some pretty heavy contractions about 2 minutes apart (not unusual for me, but they generally don't keep going), the nurse decided it was time to get the IV in. Pitocin was started at 10. Since I was already having some heavy regular contractions, I could not tell the difference.

At 11:30 am, the doctor was able to stop by to break my water. I was 6cm dilated and completely effaced. I was also nervous about getting my water broken because I knew that meant transition. Around 11:45 when I had to breath through the contractions, the nurse checked me again. I was about 9cm, so she called the doctor.

The doctor showed up about 10 minutes later and told me to push. Pushing was harder than it has ever been. I could tell that my uterine muscles are just wearing out. The doctor said that I was pushing the baby more down then out, so the nurses and John helped me position my legs to make pushing easier. I was really glad to have the nurses helping me through this part. After that, with just 2 more pushes, Arwen's head appeared. But, unlike all of my other deliveries, her shoulders got stuck. It took another couple of pushes and a huge gush of fluid and Arwen finally arrived at 12:09.

My new little daughter was placed on my stomach and John and I got to touch her and cuddle her before she was taken away to be checked. I really love getting to be one of the first people to hold my child. I never liked the nurses and doctors rushing my baby away from me, so now, I ask to see my baby before the baby is checked out as long as everything is normal.

Right away we could feel Arwen's sweet good spirit. I am always amazed at how spiritual the birth of a child is.

Like with Joshua, this labor and delivery was another good experience. While my muscles are clearly not as good as they used to be, I am a lot better at tolerating the pain and keeping up with some humor to help things along. When the pushing was obviously difficult the doctor said, "You just tell us what you want to do." I jokingly responded, "I think I'll just quit." Everyone chuckled and the nurse played along and said she'd start removing the IV. I'd say humor does relieve even physical pain.

Postpartum

 

Arwen is lovely and sweet. Most of the family has been basking in and enjoying her wonderful newborn goodness. Arwen likes to held all of the time, and since she is baby number 9, she has plenty takers. Arwen is definitely adored by all.

Postpartum recovery is stressful. I get headaches, my legs and hips and chest ache, I am bleeding and very tired. The whole family can feel the stress. I have a hard time patiently waiting for my body to recover. I want to get up and do everything, but hesitate to ignore what my body is telling me lest the recovery goes on even longer. The kids have a hard time with me sitting down more. The older kids have been helping a lot since John broke his leg. I know they were disappointed that I couldn't just come home from the hospital, do all of the chores, and take them on fun adventures. The little kids are aching to go places and to get out of the house. John has a hard time knowing how to deal with my postpartum emotions and my lack of interest in him. His leg is still broken and casted and he is stressed. We are all trying, and slowly, things are getting a little easier. Postpartum recovery is stressful. Newborns are wonderful.

6 comments:

Amy said...

She is beautiful and I'm glad you're all healthy. But I am so sorry that it's hard. Thank goodness we know it ends right? It look (from the outside) like this is one of those really great and horrible times to have a big family. SO much to do, but nice to have helpful and capable older siblings. But again, SOOOOO much to do. Call me and let me know if I can help!

LeAnn said...

I always enjoy reading birthing stories. There nothing more sweet than holding that sweet new little one. It is aheavenly moment. She's beauttiful and I love her name. I think you need to take it slow and easy in your recovery. You have your hands full for sure. When I had my younger children my older ones had to help a lot and it was such a good experience for them. They were boys but there wives love it that they know how to clean and cook. I feel bad that your poor husband has a cast on. I know how hard it is to get around; especially if he is using crutches. Hang in there and just enjoy the moments.
Blessings and hugs

rozanny said...

I have to agree with the post partum. I honestly think that it's harder than most of the pregnancy... barring a couple of good sore mornings or hard contractions. I HATE not being able to feel my bladder. It's like you have to re-train it every birth... but oh well.

Bethany said...

She is beautiful Diane!

Daughter of Eve said...

Thanks Deedee for another perfect grandchild....will see you Friday with helping hands!

Rachel Keppner said...

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful!