Sunday, July 6, 2008
Slow Down
When I hold Anya I just love and adore her babiness. When she pulls up on her knees in the position to crawl I just think, "Oh, stay a baby a little longer-- just one more day. There is lots of time for you to grow up." But when Ruth was a baby, I would hold her and wonder what she would be like when she grew up. As soon as she got up on her knees I moved her toys across the room so she would have to move to get them. When she crawled, I got anxious for her to walk. When she walked, I got anxious for her to talk. When she could talk, I got anxious for her to learn her alphabet, and when she learned her alphabet, I got anxious for her to read. After having so many kids I have realized how fast babyhood and childhood go. Most of the time, I want it to go a little slower. When I cuddle my little baby Anya, I just want her to stay that size, and to keep cuddling me. I feel the same way about Ruth now too. I love the happy age she is at. I love that Johnny always wants to play with me, and that Kate loves to have me read her stories. I love it when Adam says, "my wuv you, mom. How was your day?", and when Rachel sits in the corner and sings to her dolls. Of course, I still rejoice with the new accomplishements of each of my children. I just know that soon Ruth and Kate won't want to help me in the kitchen or have me read them books, instead they will be off with their friends and busy with a lot of school work. And Johnny won't want me to play nintendo with him because his friends will be more interesting. Adam will start saying, "I love you," and Rachel will stop rocking her babies. Anya is going to start walking and talking and everything will be different. I used to want my kids to grow up so quickly. I still love to watch them grow and develop, and I even want them too. More than anything, I want them to become happy succesful adults. But I just don't want to miss my cuddles, and smiles and sunshiney kids while I have them surrounding me and wanting me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
DIANCE ! hahaha, i meant DIANE!!!! I love the new look of your blog. It's fantastic!
And now that I have read this post, I LOVE IT! It's so poetic. I am exactly how you said you were with Ruth. I can't wait for her to get into her next stage becuase it's so exciting to see how they grow and develop, and it's all new to me.
However, I do cherish the few times the Grace will cuddle with me. She doesn't like to be held close and always pushes away so she can see everything. But once in awhile, when I pull her out of bed in the morning, she will lay her head on my shoulder and play with my hair (which she is very sad I cut!) Those are the moments that I think "Just stay like this for awhile longer."
I really enjoyed this post, thanks!
What a beautiful bunch of children! I know exactly what you mean--that's why I didn't mind AT ALL carrying Matthew around constantly, even though he didn't need me to, and letting him sleep with us, etc etc, because I was cherishing every moment! Even by the time Elizabeth was getting to the stage of crawling, I would pull her legs back, so she would be on her stomach again to delay her crawling freedom...they do grow SO FAST! Jacob is taller than me, and Emma is SOOOOOO CLOSE! It's absolutely amazing how fast it goes!
Post a Comment