Most of the time I write my blogs as if I were writing a journal. I have found that blogging is a very convienant way of keeping track of all the cute, sweet, silly stuff my kids do, or to just say how I am feeling. This is not one of those blogs. I ran into a really great bread recipe. It is fast and easy to make and very good. So I am posting it here for any one who would like to try it out.
French Bread
mix together:
2 1/2 C of hot water
1 tbs yeast
1 tsp sugar or honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 C flour
After this is smooth kneed in:
3 C flour
The dough will be sticky, but that just makes a lighter bread-- it is good.
Let the dough rise about an hour.
Roll out the dough, and then roll it into a tight roll. Sprinkle a cookie sheet with corn meal, and place the bread on top. You can mix an egg with a tbs of water and rub onto the top for softer crust (I never bother with that part).
Let it rise another 10 to 20 minutes
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the loaves are a light brown.
This recipe is fat free and contains none of the expensive ingredients like milk and butter and eggs. I think that it would be good for food storage. I have not tried it with half wheat flour, but I plan to at some point. Anyway, my family loves it. I do not think it has lasted more than 2 hours after it comes out of the oven. Oh, and another great thing is that it takes me only about 10 minutes to mix the dough by hand. We really like the simplicity of it all.
1 comment:
When you go to try it with some wheat, start with only an eighth, or a fourth at most, because whole wheat flour is SUCH a different animal than your regular kitchen flour. Now, if you are using bread flour, wheat is OK, because of the extra gluten in bread flour. Also, you can purchase wheat gluten by itself to add.
Just FYI. Happy Fourth no pun intended)!
Post a Comment