Thursday, January 6, 2011

Two in Glasses


Johnny got his first pair of glasses last night. He is near sighted, so he has trouble seeing things far away. Right now his vision is about 20/60. He will only need his glasses to see things from a distance, but near sightedness continues to get worse as one grows taller so we expect in time, Johnny will need his glasses all the time. In fact, given that at his last appointment, about 15 months ago, his vision was 20/30, we expect to be back to the eye doctor getting a new prescription every year. So now, we have 2 kids in glasses with very different vision problems.

Today I have sent Johnny to school with a new pair of glasses and a new hair cut-- poor kid. I hope he doesn't get teased too badly. Johnny says there is this one kid who is in his scouts, grade, primary class, and lives across the street who always noogies his head and calls him a nerd. Johnny is a little bit worried about this boy seeing him in glasses.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Ugh - I hope it goes well. I'm sure it won't make him feel any better (because who cares what a crazy old lady in the ward thinks...), but I think he looks really handsome in them!

Emily said...

I agree with Amy. Both of your boys look great! I'm sorry about the noogies, Gabe get's them on the playground from a boy his age, but at this point Gabe thinks it is because he is his friend. I'm unsure about that, but at least it doesn't bother him!

Stacey said...

Kids are so mean sometimes. But I think they look great! My five year old got glasses last year. She informed me the other day that her friends think she looks weird without them. I guess that's something.

rozanny said...

all the best people have glasses... except me...

Monika Pardon said...

Bullies are the reason why I'm putting both of my children into karate. I've learned from personal experience that sometimes it is appropriate to physically defend yourself from a bully. Johnny looks fine in glasses. Maybe he can come up with a whitty response. Humor and whit can come in handy with bullies. I should know, and same with Seth.

Em said...

I cried and cried btw first day I had to wear glasses to school. But that was only because I was wearing my sisters old 70's style glasses. They were ridiculous. I lived though.

Jonny is cute he looks like Harry potter. My kids are doomed for glasses.