Rachel likes to climb things, especially things where food might be like the table and kitchen counters. As a result Rachel bangs her head way more than a one year old should. John always rushes to her side and puts ice on her head. The ice is usually one ice cube wrapped in a dish towel. A few nights ago while I was making pancakes Rachel put her fingers on the hot grill. I just yelled and said, "Rachel I told you not to do that. There are reasons why I tell you not to do things. You need to learn to obey me!" But John is a much better parent and rushed to get an ice cube for her fingers and gave her a hug and told her he felt sorry that she got hurt. (I still did not feel bad, and I still don't. But that is another story.) Rachel took the ice cube, wrapped it in a dish towel and put it on her forehead. John told her no. That ice was for her fingers. But Rachel insisted on putting it on her head. We let her have it on her head and that is when she stopped crying.
1 comment:
Don't feel too badly Diane...John was a Boy Scout, you know...we even took a babysitting/first aid course together as young teenagers.
Poor Rachel...I remember Elizabeth and Robert doing things that were so dangerous all the time and getting so hurt so often...it gets so wearing on a mother to have to be on the guard 24/7 literally! Robert's name was on the poison control records more than any other kid in Colorado I bet! I remember one night, as he had done something so dangerous and miraculously had not split his head open...I just thought, "Oh Robert, I am really glad that you are not dead...and I really do love you...but you are SO MUCH WORK to keep alive!!!"
Elizabeth singed her hair once while watching me cook (gas stove). They both have had many, many visits to the E.R...what can you do? Just keep watching...treating their wounds...kissing their boo-boos...and get as much done as you can before the next injury!
Post a Comment