Friday, February 8, 2008


Kate had the yearly music presentation that most elementary school kids have. Normally these things are a bit boring. But Kate kept us entertained the whole time. Here stands Kate on the front row-- the shortest kid in the entire third grade at Maize Central Elementary. Kate gets very angry when anyone says that she is short. Well, Let me write about Kate's performance. Kate walked on stage in a line of all the other kids. When Kate saw the audience she began to wave. When Kate saw us she waved a lot more and jumped up and down. Other kids waved too, but none of them waved as enthusiastically as Kate.


Next is Kate getting ready to say her line. Kate's part was during "Do Re MI" from "The Sound of Music" she got to be the small child who said, "But it doesn't mean anything?". I am sure Kate got this part because she is short, but Kate still has the voice of a small child. (At least compared to the other speaking third graders). Kate had to use a lower microphone that she needed to bend down to pick up. All of the other kids used microphones that stood on the stage. I noticed that Kate was too short too short to be able to speak into those microphones. Kate did a lovely job with her line. She spoke very clearly and did not do an extra performance while waiting her turn to speak.

During other songs, Kate stood back with the group and did all of the hand motions and dances that all the little singers standing on the bleachers had to do. But Kate danced extra. She moved her body more and she did extra things with her hands. I think that Kate just enjoyed the songs. She was not acting out or trying to stand out from the group. I think one only noticed her extra dance if he watched Kate in particular.

The last picture is of Kate standing in a car formation while singing "Chitty Chitty, Bang, Bang". Each class got to do a special dance during one of the songs. This is Kate with some of her classmates. She is the horn of the car. She got to toot a little bike horn during the song. After the show I asked Kate if she was glad to have been the horn. She said, "Oh, yes. When I found out what we were doing I prayed to be the horn and I was!"

The best part of the whole show was the end when the music director was saying all of the thank yous. Kate and her friends were in the background laughing and taking extra bows and waving hellos to the audience. At one point Kate put her hand on her stomach and did a fake full belly laugh at something one of her friends said. But the funniest thing of all (and, yes, a bit naughty of Kate) was when she started mocking the music teacher. She looked like she was saying, "Blah, blah, blah". When we asked Kate what she was doing then Kate said, "It was the end of the show and she was just talking and talking-- blah, blah , blah."





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Mary said...

How cute is that? Do the other kids each have separate performances? I love Kate's totally innocent, angelic voice, and her very unique and awesome mannerisms--Kate you are a blessing to your family!!